I grew up with my mom telling me that red lipsticks dont suit her. So I dont know, I think I just assumed that red lipsticks wont suit me as well. I think a lot of us are intimidated by red lipstick. Its just loud, bold and scandalous! haha
But red lipsticks have always been a classic and it has yet to go out of style. Here are a few tips on how to choose the perfect red and how to wear it!
- Consider your undertone. If you have YELLOW undertones or have darker skin choose warmer reds or reds that have a brown base. If your complexion is PINKISH you can go for cherry red or reds that have a hint of plum. Those with OLIVE skin can wear fire-red shades
- Red lipstick tends to bleed. Line your lips with a lipliner before filling out the entire lip with your lipstick. Red lipstick will look prettier on defined/lined lips.
- Color Balance. If you want to wear a bright bold red lipstick, make sure that the makeup on the rest of your face is minimal. You dont want the colors to clash and to look like a clown. Having minimal eye makeup avoids the heavy/overdramatic look.
- Use a lip brush to apply for a more precise application.
- Its not all the time that you get a perfect shade for you. Dont toss out that red lipstick that looks garrish on you. Use other lipstick shades and blend to create a new color or a more flattering shade of red.
- Don't be too Matchy-Matchy. Unless youre as fab as Dita Von Teese, dont match your red lips with a red dress and red nails to avoid looking over the top.
- But its all about attitude as well, if youre dark skinned and feel like wearing a cherry red lipstick. Go ahead!! I think that makeup has no more boundaries, nobody can really tell you dont wear green or orange as eyeshadow. Just make sure to head out with confidence! :)
I wanted to try using two shades for a two toned look before blending the colors.
So heres Red and Orange(I used 1 for the upper lip and 4 and 5 for the lower lip)
Red lips using the shades numbered 1 to 5
32 Lip palette