Have an account?

My Portfolio

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Spend vs. Save

We all know that we have to wash our brushes regularly. I try to do it as often as I can, but just thinking about it tires me. I really hate having to wash and clean them cause I get so bored haha. Im sure you know what I mean, especially you girls who have so many! haha I try to wash them the regularl way with baby shampoo and water. But sometimes when Im in a hurry I use the M.A.C. Brush Cleanser. And it works pretty fine. I just dilute it with water (1 part brush cleanser and 2 parts water). Its less than half full now. And though it really isnt that expensive, I really need to cut back on expenses. Which brings us to the Homemade Brush Cleanser which im sure most of you are familiar with from Enkore's Video.



M.A.C. Brush Cleanser $11
Image borrowed from M.A.C.




What you'll need:




  • 1 cup Distilled Water (Free lol)
  • 1/4 cup Alcohol (P40)
  • 1/2 tsp. Dishwashing Detergent (I used Plamolive Aromatherapy in Lavander "Tough on Grease, Soft on hands! LOL- P79)
  • 1/2 tsp Baby Shampoo (Baby Flo - P38.50)
  • 1 tbsp Liquid Leave in Conditioner ( I added more hehe :) Loreal Elseve Nutri Gloss Conditioning Spray P260 this was the only one that they had :/ boo)
  • A spray bottle/Atomizer (I had extras at home)

So you mix them all together, stirring gently so you wont form suds. Transfer it to the spray bottle and you're all set! Easy right? And it only cost me P417.50. Couldve been cheaper if i found a cheaper alternative for the leave in conditioner (I didnt want to use the gel leave in conditioner)


P417.50 vs. P600?
(M.A.C. Brush Cleanser price an approximate, I dont know how much it is here)


Plus the "recipe" lol will yield about 3 bottles (I think my spray bottles are about 100ml each? the tag says 385 but I highly doubt that haha). And theres so much left from all the Alcohol, Detergent, Shampoo and Conditioner I bought. I can probably make about ten times or more than the 233 ml from M.A.C. You might have all those things needed or some at home too.


Pros:
- It works even better than the M.A.C. Brush Cleanser, sadly. I only needed about 2 sprays on my dirtiest, baddest eyeshadow brush. haha
-Its super cheap!
-Very easy to make

Cons:
- It smells like alcohol. Which is fine. But I hate the smell of Alcohol (I blame it on spending too much time in Hospitals during College haha) but that is it!




So if youre looking to buy a brush cleanser, try searching for these items at home and whip some up! :D Im also making some Homemade mixing medium in a bit, as soon as I find a container for it hehehe :)



Bookmark and Share




15 comments:

+ S T A R + said...

mauuuuuuuu

tnx for the tip!
now i know how to make my own brush cleanser. :)

p.s.

please add my new blog site??? :(

www.girlwithglasses143.blogspot.com

Caby said...

Can I have? :)

makeupjunkie said...

yea.. i've been meaning to do this too but i cant find a liquid leave in conditioner. now i know. will definitely check out the elseve one

Pammy said...

Nice, thanks for the "recipe" and sharing it with us. :)

Maui (Suushh) said...

I should add that I got this from Enkore on youtube. okay wait, ill edit my post hehe :)

Jing: Already did sweety :D

Angela: Thank you for the awards! :D

Caby: Scrub!!! haha I kid, I kid, I'll make you some :)

Makeupjunkie: yeah I searched blogs for anyone whos done this cause I wasnt sure I was going to find the liquid leave in conditioner. I always see the gel/lotion kind. This is the only one they had at Watsons though

Pammy: heheh :D Thanks Enkore!

AskMeWhats said...

I never purchase any brush cleansers because I've always been making one myself! :) it works just as well and I'm glad you shared this to your readers :) SPEND talaga! :)

Anonymous said...

wow very clever I will do this! thanx for the nice post very helpful!

Maui (Suushh) said...

Nikki: ohh do you use the same "recipe" haha. I dont think i'll ever buy a brush cleaner. I have too many left over from the "ingredients" this may last me forever haha

Louie: Yay! thanks :)

Becks said...

Cool! are your brushes still soft with the homemade concoction? I use to use a mix of handsoap and conditioner but it was too drying lol!

Maui (Suushh) said...

I tried it immediately ofcourse (and my brushs needed to be cleaned haha) and no so far, all the brushes are in good condition still soft :D No alcohol smell too hehehe guess it faded away

~Lisa said...

Ooh! Thanks for the tip! But I'm still so lazy with it. =P I'll 'try' to make some of this xD

Maui (Suushh) said...

Hahaha :) try it

Crystal said...

thanks for the tip! i just bought a brush cleaner from suesh, but when i run out i'll try this.

Anonymous said...

I use same recipe, but I add some drops of orange essential oil for better scent.;)

Maui (Suushh) said...

Crystal: oohh yeah wanted to get one too, but decided to try this one first naman hehe :)

Sil: oh thats interesting. Maybe I should try that next time. Though the alcohol scent doesnt stick to the brushes, its just the solution that smells like alcohol hehe

........

Fashion & Beauty - Top Blogs Philippines Personal Real Time Analytics